MissionsMission Ministries at Salem Avenue Baptist Church
The Missions Ministries at SABC are led by our Missions Ministry Team, which is made up of men and women with a heart for missions work. We sponsor a variety of mission efforts, all with the goal of bringing others to know Christ as Savior. We support mission efforts through several organizations: The Southern Baptist International Missions Board, the North American Missions Board, the Missouri Baptist Foundation and the Missouri Baptist Convention. We also support a number of other individual missionary families around the world: A couple who do college ministry in Cape Town, South Africa (Mission to the World, PCA); another family who serve in Eastern Africa (Campus Crusade for Christ); a chaplain who ministers to the Boys and Girls Town of Missouri (Days of Hope Ministry) in St, James, Mo., Machaseh Children's Home ministry in Wyoming, Camp David of the Ozarks who bring children of prisoners to summer camp, and AWANA missionaries as we have a fully operating AWANA program at SABC.Past mission opportunities:
- We reach out to the communities in our state and nation through disaster relief. A team from our church has traveled to several areas to help in tornado, ice storm and hurricane clean-up efforts. In June and October 2011 groups went to the aid of Joplin when a destructive tornado wiped out 1/3 of their town on May 22, 2011.
- In the summer of 2011, the church sent adults and youth to reach out to the Lakota Sioux in South Dakota. The men helped the local mission family improve their facilities and the youth conducted a VBS for local kids in two communities.
- The ladies in our church have made over 100 dresses for little girls and 125 pairs of shorts for little boys which were delivered in June 2011. These will be delivered by Messiah Lutheran Church in Weldon Springs, MO to a village in Nakabonga in January 2011. The next project will be to make shorts for boys to be delivered to Nakabonga in June 2011.
- In September 2010 we had 19 people travel to South Dakota for a week to work on a church on the Indian reservation.
- Summer 2009 we had two teams travel to Shoshoni, Wyoming to work on Machaseh Children's Ranch. This home is near completion and will be active as a home for children in January 2011.
- Uganda, Africa June 2008 - Four members from our church traveled to Uganda to work in poverty and aids stricken villages.
- A couple from our church and their 2 children served on a mission team in Rancho Sordo Mundo in Mexico in November. We hope to do more work with this team.
- We work with Camp David of the Ozarks as they provide a ministry to children of prisoners.
For more information on mission work at SAB contact our Mission Ministry Team Leader Karl Brandt (573) 759-7340 or call the church office (573-364-4442) and speak with Kathy Brandt.
We will continue to send people out, so that we might share Christ around the world. If you have suggestions for a mission project please contact one of the people listed above.